CBD Popsicles, the Perfect Summer Treat
For many kids across the U.S., popsicles are a staple summertime snack. Easy to grab and enjoy on the go, these cold treats help cool down those who eat them during the summer months.
And, with tons of flavors and types of popsicles on the market, kids had so many options when picking them out while grocery shopping with their parents or other adults.
But, popsicles aren’t just the perfect summer treat for kids. They are an excellent option for adults too.
Cooking with CBD oil has become all the rage, with users adding it to drinks and their favorite meals. A new, summertime CBD trend? Add CBD to make an adult popsicle.
What Are CBD Popsicles and Why Make Them?
Adding CBD to food items is not a new concept. Users can easily find a CBD edible for sale online or in their local community. Or, users can make their CBD treats at home. You can find a CBD candy recipe and other instructions for cooking with CBD online. (You’ll find some popsicle recipes at the bottom of this article).
So, why is adding CBD to food so popular? There are many reasons:
- It’s a discreet way to enjoy CBD.
- It allows users to combine their favorite treats or food with the relaxing benefits CBD offers.
- Food can mask the sometimes weedy taste of unflavored CBD.
- It offers longer-lasting results (CBD from edibles can stay in your system for up to eight hours).
Your Popsicle-making Equipment
As temperatures rise and summer gets into full swing, perhaps you are ready to make your CBD popsicles. Though this is pretty easy, you will need two main pieces of equipment to be successful.
First, you’ll need a mold. Though some people will use ice cube trays, the trays will make relatively small popsicles. Find a mold in the size and shape that appeals to you most. Or, get a variety so you can make different styles of popsicles all summer long.
Second, you’ll need popsicle sticks. Classic wood sticks are common, but they cause waste. Another option is to find reusable popsicle sticks that you can clean and use all summer to reduce the amount of trash you create.
A Note on Products, Flavor, and Dosing
Before we get to the good stuff (aka the recipes), there are a few factors to consider and think about as you make your popsicles.
First, as adults, we often have special dietary needs and requirements. In addition to ensuring your popsicle ingredients follow your needs, make sure your CBD product does as well. Luckily, you can find everything from keto CBD recipes and products to sugar-free options and everything in between.
You’ll likely be wondering which is the best CBD oil for making edibles like popsicles. It is a matter of preference. You’ll want to find a quality CBD product to include and one that either won’t affect your popsicle’s flavor or one that will enhance it. If you are making a candy-themed popsicle, you could do a gum theme and find a bubble gum CBD oil to use in your recipe.
Dosing when it comes to using edibles like CBD gummies and popsicles is crucial. Too much CBD won’t hurt you but will change your experience. For example, you may end up feeling drowsy instead of energized.
Finally, if making your CBD edibles isn’t something you want to take the time to do, that’s fine. There are plenty of products you can purchase. Look for the best CBD edibles like the best CBD gummies to satisfy your CBD and summertime sweets cravings.
Now, for the recipes.
Tropical Citrus CBD Popsicle Recipe
What you’ll need:
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- One can of pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup of frozen fruit of your choice (such as strawberries, mango, or pineapple)
- Three drops of CBD oil (could use orange creamsicle CBD oil for extra flavor)
- A blender
- Place your frozen fruit in your blender.
- Pour in your orange juice, pineapple juice, and coconut milk.
- Add in your CBD oil.
- Blend until all ingredients are well mixed and the mixture is smooth.
- Distribute this mixture into six popsicle molds and add your sticks.
- Place molds in the freezer and let freeze for about six hours.
Watermelon Mint CBD Popsicle Recipe
What you’ll need:
- 1/2 seedless watermelon (small size is fine)
- 10 mint leaves
- 1 tsp lime juice (fresh squeezed is best)
- 1/2 tsp CBD oil (unflavored or a complimentary flavor)
- 1/2 ounce of organic light agave nectar
- Cut the watermelon in half and scoop out the inside flesh. Place this in the bottom of a blender.
- Add in mint leaves and puree the two for one minute or until the watermelon chunks are dissolved.
- Using a fine strainer, separate the pulp from the juice, letting the juice fall into a Mason jar (at least a 24-ounce jar).
- Repeat step three until the liquid is free of pulp.
- Discard the pulp and set the jar of juice aside.
- Rinse out your blender with water.
- Add the watermelon mint juice back into the blender.
- Add in your CBD, lime juice, and agave nectar.
- Blend on high for about 10 to 15 seconds.
- Pour the juice into six popsicle molds and insert your popsicle sticks.
- Place it in the freezer and let it sit for a few hours.
- After a few hours, use the stick to stir the mold (this prevents separation) gently.
- Freeze overnight and enjoy.
Storing Your CBD Popsicles
Unless you plan to eat an entire batch of popsicles in one sitting, you can wrap your treat in cellophane or plastic paper and keep them in your freezer for a few days.
If you have little ones, be sure to keep your popsicles out of their reach. After all, resisting popsicles as a child can be challenging!