CBD is known for providing users with feelings of relaxation and calmness. Users can experience these soothing effects without the high traditional marijuana products offer, making CBD even more appealing.
Although there are many reasons people may choose to use CBD products, one increasingly popular reason is as a natural way to manage symptoms of seasonal affective disorder.
What Is Seasonal Affective Disorder?
Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) is a type of depression usually related to the seasons’ change. SAD most often affects people during the fall and winter months. Some may experience SAD in the spring and early summer, but this is quite rare.
The exact cause of SAD is unknown, but there are some theories behind what can trigger SAD. One popular theory points to the decreased amount of sunlight most people see during the winter months. Scientists believe this causes the brain to make less serotonin, leading to symptoms of seasonal affective disorder.
Symptoms of Seasonal Affective Disorder
SAD is more than just the winter blues, and severe cases can significantly affect people. Symptoms of SAD include:
- Feeling depressed all day, every day
- Having low energy
- Losing interest in activities once enjoyed
- Changes in appetite or weight
- Difficulty sleeping
- Feeling agitated or moody
- Difficulty concentrating
- Thoughts of death or suicide
Be sure to seek immediate help if you experience these symptoms, especially if they are long-term.
Treating Seasonal Affective Disorder
One of the most common ways to treat SAD is through light therapy. Essentially, this involves sitting in front of a special light for at least 30 minutes each day. If you use this treatment method, be sure to protect your eyes while sitting in front of the light.
Prescription medications may also be used to relieve SAD symptoms. Your doctor will be able to advise if this is a good course of action for you.
People looking for natural ways to help ease SAD symptoms may turn to CBD products for help. Or, they may choose to add CBD to their treatment plan.
For example, to treat SAD, your physician may suggest trying out relaxation techniques such as yoga. CBD yoga is becoming a popular way to participate; participants take some CBD before their yoga session to enjoy a genuinely relaxing, one-of-a-kind experience.
Popular Ways to Consume CBD for Depression
If adding CBD to your routine sounds like something you want to try, there are many ways you can do so. Poplar ways to consume or use CBD include:
- In oil form. CBD oil can be applied directly to the skin, as some suggest they help alleviate pain in a specific part of the body, or it can be placed under the tongue or even added to your favorite food. Be sure to choose the right type of oil. Full-spectrum CBD oil will contain more than just CBD, which is important to note before taking it. If you plan to use CBD oil in your food, consider using unflavored CBD oils to not impact the taste.
- Try edibles such as CBD cookies or brownies. These are an easy way to consume CBD, plus they help satisfy your sweet tooth. If you are adept in the kitchen, try your hand at making your own CBD edibles, there are many CBD recipes out there. Read CBD edible reviews to get a feel for the effects and taste you can expect from each product.
- Add CBD into your beauty routine. CBD body care is becoming increasingly popular, with new products coming on the market daily. Grab a CBD bath bomb to add to your next bath and enjoy the relaxing and uplifting effects of CBD and a nice warm bath offers.
- Try a pure CBD tincture. This will contain only CBD and is easy to take. Users need to put a drop under their tongue. They are also fast-acting and might help you find relief quickly.
Should You Use CBD to Treat Your SAD?
If you are on the fence and unsure if you want to try adding CBD into your routine to treat your seasonal affective disorder, or just to experience its effects in general, do some research. Look for and read CBD health benefits testimonials online to learn about the experiences others have had. Of course, you can also consult with your physician for their opinion and to confirm CBD won’t affect any other medications you are on.
People use CBD for many reasons. Some people use it to help them relax during their daily life. Others use CBD for stress to help calm down. Others may just enjoy the effects CBD has to offer. And others still may use CBD to help manage the symptoms of SAD.